Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Early Spring Evening

The sun, so close to the horizon,
High pitched voices of children rise above the ground
In the yards across the road,
Their shrieks and laughter dapple the orange lit sunset.

Chickens are nestled peacefully in the coop,
Dogs settle for the night, dandelions dot the back pasture.
By tomorrow I will see circular globes of milk light dust.

This is the spring we have all been waiting for!
We have turned the corner!
The days grow longer, beckoning us to spend our hours outside,
To soak in the warmth, the sunlight, the sweet air,
So welcomed after a winter of winds, snows, the sleet and rains
That drove us inside, relentlessly, for months.

And now, the blessed season of rebirth has begun,
Calves, bees, lambs, peas,
All respond to the call of the lingering light.
My heart lifts, and opens, awake to the
Possibility of my own fresh indwelling,
Waiting to emerge.

What is waiting in me to be reborn?
What is waiting to find me as these days unfold?
What will I allow to find me?


Mary Brandenburg

May 6, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment